Culinary Market Experience in Jerusalem
Mahane Yehuda has long been the beating heart of the Jerusalem market scene. Locally called the “shuk”, it is home to fruit and vegetable vendors, thriving specialty stores, clothing stands, spices and smells galore. In fact, Mahane Yehuda is much more than just a market – it is simultaneously one of the most traditional yet one of the most modern and innovative places in Jerusalem.
This tour connects you to the local culture using all your senses. We pass the best stands to taste hummus, halva and tahini, down to more specific specialties like the Georgian dish Khachapury and the famous Jerusalem Bagel.
We continue learning about the fascinating history of the market that has stood here since Ottoman times, uncovering its rise from rundown backwater to today’s hip status. Our culinary experience is rounded off with a special natural-health juice, delicious dried fruits and, of course, dessert.
Most importantly, leaving your stomach full and satisfied, this tour introduces you to the best culinary highlights, background stories and local lifestyle that the market area has to offer. If you wish to mingle more afterwards, feel free to come back at night, when it reinvents itself as a bustling bar and restaurant hub for residents and tourists, foodies and craft beer enthusiasts alike.
- Taste your way through Jerusalem’s most popular market scene
- Try culinary highlights like halva, hummus and the Jerusalem Bagel
- Enjoy a hands-on historical experience as you stroll through the market’s lanes
- Learn about how the market became a hub for local street art
Good to Know
- Pickup points: Abraham Hostel Jerusalem Lobby (Davidka Square)
- Things to bring: camera
- Tastings from five different vendors/market stalls
- Guided tour