Jesus Trail on Budget 3 Day Hike
The 3-Day Jesus Trail Hike will take you on an unforgettable walk through history, culture, and spirituality. Journey through small villages, bustling cities, and sweeping farmland along a well-known trail where Jesus chose to carry out his ministry. Beginning in Nazareth, you will visit the old Roman Galilean capital: Zippori, the location of the first miracle in Cana, Mount Arbel, and of course – the Sea of Galilee. Along the coast, you will visit important churches, with the final destination being Capernaum: the center of much of Jesus’ ministry. An additional hike to the Mount of Beatitudes is optional, and recommended walk.
- Explore Nazareth's Old City - the hometown of Jesus
- Reach Cana by foot, the traditional site of Jesus’ first miracle
- Enjoy stunning views from Arbel cliff to the Sea of Galilee
- Visit Tabgha, the traditional site of the feeding of the 5,000
- Reach Capernaum - the city that was the center of Jesus’ ministry
- Day 1Arrival in Nazareth
Check in to your room at the 18th-Century Arab mansion: The Fauzi Azar —complete with hand-painted ceilings and hanging chandeliers. On this day, you can explore the Old City of Nazareth, roaming through the twists and turns of the Souk (market). You can also take the time to visit the Basilica of the Annunciation, the White Mosque, and the Greek Orthodox St. Gabriel’s Church, all only a 10-15 minute walk from your Hostel.
In the evening, unwind in the courtyard of Fauzi Azar, surrounded by an ancient water fountain and greenery, or enjoy the sunset on the balcony. The Hostel staff will take care of your needs so you can rest before your upcoming adventure. You will be given a pack of everything you need, a map, and an itinerary.
Accommodation: The Fauzi Azar (or similar).
- Day 2Nazareth to Cana 15.1 km
Start your day with a healthy Arabic breakfast, and get ready to hike! Leaving the Old City through its 400 steps, you will immediately be treated to your first breathtaking view of the Galilean landscape. The trail begins en route to Zippori National Park, a fascinating archaeological site, where you will spend some time within its grounds before continuing through a small village and into the bustling city of Cana, the traditional location of Jesus’ first miracle. Your second night will give you the opportunity to experience authentic Arab hospitality and local cuisine in a comfortable, homey guesthouse.
Accommodation: Cana Palace
- Day 3Arbel - Capernaum
The morning begins with a home-cooked breakfast —fuel for another day of exploring! Beginning with a shuttle from Cana to Arbel National Park, you will soon have the chance to see the Sea of Galilee glistening in the morning sunlight. The trail takes you down the cliff-face and into Wadi Hamam, a Bedouin Village, before guiding you on to the Galilean coastline. You will reach the Church of the Multiplication of the Loaves and Fishes at Tabgha before continuing on to the final destination. At Capernaum, the place that Jesus chose to make his ministerial base, you can explore the ancient site and applaud your hard work! You have just arrived at Capernaum – just like Jesus did! Now, either wait for your shuttle to pick you up from there, or consider one more walk…to the Mount of Beatitudes to be picked up from there instead.
Note: This tour can be booked up to 3 days in advance. If you are looking for an earlier departure, contact us at [email protected].
Good to Know
- This is a self guided hiking tour, meaning it includes printed guiding materials, but no actual guide
- Lunches and dinners are not included in the tour. It will be a good idea to either stop at a market each night to buy snacks or pack your own meals
- Tour begins from the Fauzi Azar in Nazareth
- There are no luggage transports on this tour so you will be backpacking and carrying your luggage with you. We recommend packing light
- Dress according to the season. Bring warm clothes for nights and evenings
- Modest clothing required for entering holy sites
- Note: Religious meal requirements (such as kosher or Halal) cannot be accommodated in this package
- Transportation after the tour will take you to Tiberias, or drop you off along the way. You may request this shuttle to be from Mount of Beatitudes if you choose to do this additional short hike
- Two nights of accommodation (dorm bed)
- Two breakfasts
- Self-guiding materials
- Shuttle from Cana to Arbel National park
- Transfer to Tiberias at the end of the hike
- National Parks entrance fees
- Lunches and dinners
- Traveler’s Insurance (recommended)
- Optional – transport from Jerusalem or Tel Aviv (not available on Tuesday and Friday)
- Optional – Extra Jesus Trail Guidebook
PICK A DATE
How do I return from Tiberias?
You can take public transport from Tiberias to the city of your choice.
To Nazareth – Bus 431
To Jerusalem – Bus 961/962
To Tel Aviv – Bus 836
Am I fit enough to hike the Jesus Trail?
Physical fitness is very personal and varies from person to person. Generally, you should be prepared to walk 16 km (10 miles) a day. You may wish to train in advance and build up to 10 miles a day, by starting with shorter walks.
Consult with a physician before taking the trail if you have arthritis or have had any surgery on your knees, hip, or ankle joints.
This trail is not recommended for those with high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, back pain, and other ailments that may affect your ability to walk long distances.
Are water sources available for refilling bottles during the hikes?
Water is readily available every few hours for most of the trail.
Is it safe to hike the trail and travel alone in Israel?
Many people walk the trail alone and have found this to be safe. Generally, locals tend to be exceptionally helpful and honored to have you coming through their towns and villages. There is always some risk with hiking alone in any part of the world, but the risk in the Galilee region is considered minimal.
How much money should I bring with me for the hike?
There are no fees to walk the trail. There are 3 national parks along the trail—Zippori (optional but highly recommended), Arbel (the trail passes through this national park), and Capernaum that have a small entrance fee.
For food you can find many great options along the way:
- falafel sandwich: 12NIS
- sit down meal in a restaurant: 50-80NIS per person
- 20 oz. bottle of soda in a convenience store: 8NIS
- jar of peanut butter at a grocery store: 20NIS
- dehydrated rice or pasta dinner from the grocery store: 12NIS
Where can I leave my luggage while I am on the trail?
You can store your extra bags in the Luggage Storage Rooms in Abraham Jerusalem Tel Aviv, or Nazareth for the duration of your hike.